Moorgate Mill – A new approach to supporting people with complex needs using integrated technologies
“Our technology-enabled developments are a new concept, delivering high quality care and accommodation for people living with a range of disabilities, which is more cost-effective than traditional provision. We’ve worked with Tunstall on Moorgate Mill to ensure it offers the latest solutions to support people with complex needs both now and in the future. We want to ensure HB Villages is at the forefront of harnessing available and emerging technologies to deliver the best possible outcomes for the people we support.
Matthew Warnes, Director, ATEL (Adaptive Technology Europe Ltd)
There is an urgent and growing need across the UK for cost effective accommodation and care for adults with a variety of disabilities. More than 300,000 disabled people are on housing waiting lists across Great Britain and around one in five people with a learning disability live in housing arrangements that need improving². In order to meet demand from the growing number of people with a learning disability, there would have to be an additional 1,324 registered care home places and 941 supported living places created every year until 2026².
How is technology helping to deliver a new model of care which is more cost effective than traditional provision and ensures vulnerable adults are given the same life choices as others?
Tunstall and ATEL offer a range of technology enabled care solutions for people with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, complex needs and behaviour which challenges living in supported living environments.
Working closely with local authorities and developers, we ensure that the infrastructure of the scheme can support a range of people from the moment they move in, and for years into the future. Uniquely, we assess individual’s needs and create a bespoke, integrated solution to meet them.
We then monitor the success of the package, making any necessary adjustments, and report on outcomes. Our platform ensures a range of solutions can be integrated to create a unique living environment which helps the individual live safely and independently. Users can benefit from:
- Telecare sensors which manage risks such as fire, flood or gas leaks
- Personal pendants which enable them to request assistance
- Sensors which will alert staff if the user may have fallen
- Epilepsy sensors which reduce/remove the need for intrusive night-time checks
- Environmental sensors to control curtains, heating and lighting
- Access control and automatic door openers
- Aids to support bathing and toileting
- Cognition and communication aids
- Medical and therapeutic products
The system can also support site-wide WiFi provision, and VOIP telephony, enabling residents to benefit from low-cost calls and internet access. Depending upon capacity, people can also use Walled Garden, a portal which enables the user to pay bills, go shopping, contact their GP and access social networking sites in a safe environment using easy icons.
- Cost effective alternative to traditional residential care for people with complex needs
- Technology enables personalised care, choice, dignity and control
- Out of area placements and residential/care home placements can be reduced
- Technology enabling increased independence for individuals with behaviours which challenge
- A significantly improved user experience, enabling freedom, managing risk and enriching lives
Including integrated technology enabled care solutions in specifications for supported living environments enables a new model of care delivery which is more cost effective and provides a home for people which helps them to live the life they choose.
Improved outcomes and sustainable change demonstrated at Moorgate Mill include:
- 24-hour extra care provision for people with complex needs, and personalised care with robust technology can replace residential and nursing home care, providing more choice and control.
- Out of area placements and residential/care home placements for people with complex needs can be reduced. Two individuals from the local authority Winterbourne Review List will benefit from the Moorgate Mill development.
- Extending the traditional range of social care services using technology previously utilised in luxury private homes to provide personalised care, dignity and control.
- Providing a completely new model of housing with care that gives individuals choice and control not possible in other environments.
- A financially sustainable model which will deliver cost savings as a result of individuals becoming more independent, reflected in changes to care arrangements.
- Technology enabling the least restrictive models of supervision and support to individuals who are at risk of offending, as a result of their previous challenging experiences, and/or illness/disability. Their independence, privacy and dignity are supported, whilst protecting them and their community from a breakdown in their support/wellbeing.
- A significantly improved user experience, enabling freedom, managing risk and enriching lives.
Solutions for housing
Our Connected Healthcare solutions can be tailored to suit the full spectrum of housing options, from general needs, to supported and sheltered housing, extra care, retirement developments and care homes.