Calderdale – Quest for Quality in Care Homes
“As part of our Commissioning Plan for 2012/13, we set out a clear objective to transform health within Calderdale by looking to improve patient care and safety, whilst also addressing some of the challenges faced by clinicians in primary care.
Telehealth and telecare provide us with the opportunity to encourage self-management and offer better care and support. In turn this can help reduce costs on the NHS caused in part by unnecessary hospital and GP visits, and enhance the quality of life for local people.”
Dr Steven Cleasby, Clinical Lead for Care Homes and Safeguarding, NHS Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group
NHS Calderdale CCG developed a commissioning plan for 2013/14 with a clear objective to establish a more consistent and sustainable model of care for older and vulnerable individuals in Calderdale; a truly person-centred approach which would best meet the needs of people with long-term health and care needs, and help to make efficient use of NHS resources.
The Quest for Quality in Care Homes pilot was developed, which aims to address the variations in practice across care homes, supporting the delivery of consistent, efficient, proactive care by upskilling and empowering staff. More than half of the care homes in the area (24) have signed up to be part of the pilot so far. A key focus for the pilot has been to reduce admissions to hospital from the residents of care homes, typically for urinary tract infections, respiratory infections, falls and fractures. The pilot provides additional support to care home staff to help improve outcomes and prevent unnecessary hospital admissions.
The project has been implemented in three key phases:
- Providing access for GPs and Quest Matrons to real time clinical records through the provision of an IT system in the care homes. This enables GPs and Quest Matrons to access their patients’ medical records, enabling ‘joined up’ care and informed decision making.
- Development of telecare and telehealth systems to support prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Tunstall has provided advanced telecare and telehealth solutions to support homes to improve
the quality of care provided and proactively deliver care to residents to help prevent deterioration and exacerbation of chronic conditions.
- Investment in a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT), providing an integrated social and clinical approach to support anticipatory care planning. As part of the Quest for Quality in Care Homes model, NHS Calderdale CCG has commissioned Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust (CHFT) to provide an integrated professional and clinical Multi-Disciplinary Team.
The Quest for Quality uses technology as part of a multidisciplinary approach to help maximise efficiencies across health and social care economy, and enable people to live healthier and happier lives, with greater control of their own care.
Results for the second year of the Quest for Quality in care homes pilot (2015/16) showed:
- The cost of hospital stays has reduced saving £799,561 year-on-year
- Emergency admissions are down 26% year-on year
- Hospital stays are down 72% year-on-year
- Hospital bed days used has decreased by 68% year-on-year
- GP care home visits have reduced, with Quest for Quality care homes requiring 45% fewer visits than non-Quest homes
Video: The quest for quality
Hear staff from Calderdale talking about the Connected Health solutions used in their care homes and the impact it had on the efficiency and finances of their services and the quality of life of their residents.
Solutions for Healthcare
Connected Health is a model for the delivery of healthcare that includes technology in pathways to help make more efficiency use of resources, by enabling healthcare to be provided in the community and empowering patients to take an active role in managing their own health.
Tunstall Healthcare (UK) Ltd
To hear the latest and receive offers from Tunstall, please subscribe to our newsletter
Tunstall Healthcare will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at email@example.com. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking submit, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.